Monday, April 28, 2008

Smells Like Team Spirit

My NASCAR fan-dom started out with a fondness for the #20 car and driver. The more I watch, the more I respect team owner Joe Gibbs and team concept. Back at the shop during the week, you won't find any employees wearing Home Depot, or M&M's, or FedEx colors. Everyone wears the Joe Gibbs Racing logo. With the addition of Kyle Busch in the 18 car and Denny Hamlin getting over the somphomore slump in the 11, they've become a much more competitive team. Also, with this being Toyota's second year in Sprint Cup racing, they are starting get it figured out as well. With all the Gibbs drivers in the chase, they're poised for greatness. And then Wednesday rolled around.


ESPN reported that Tony Stewart, who's under contract through the 2009 season, wants to be released from the last year of his contract. He's been with Gibbs, and Home Depot, and the same crew chief for all of his 10 years in cup racing. I thought he was tasting some sour grapes as he's the only Gibbs driver to not take a checkered flag this year, and I was quite disappointed. Thursday came, and Tony spoke publicly about the matter. He said that nothing was broken at JGR, and he was just exploring his options. It made me feel a little better, but it still sounds fishy to me.

Tony captured the checkered flag in Saturday's race, a race that I watched the last 30 or so laps of, but I just couldn't be excited. He was in contention for the victory on Sunday, but a wreck near the end put him on the trailer early. Tony's new teammate came home the winner, and completed the sweep for Gibbs, and all was right again with the world.


No comments: