Friday, July 11, 2008

Nothing But Taillights



One weekend each year, NASCAR brings its travelling soap opera to Chicagoland. Last year, I came out on a Saturday afternoon, went to the souvenir trailers and displays, then went back home. This year, the races are at night, so I left work a little early, OK alot early, and came out to the Friday night Nationwide Series race. It's been over for about 90 minutes, and I've been back at my car for about an hour. I just don't see the point in getting in and starting it up right now. I just happened to have my camera, laptop, and air card, so I thought I'd blog a little. There's a group off to my left with one of those big conversion vans. They've gotten their lawn chairs back out, and I think they've got their grill going again. The group over my left shoulder is tossing bean bags while listening to Garth Brooks and George Strait. I've heard both "Rodeo" and "Amarillo by Mornin'". There's a group off to my right drinking beer and talking to the people waiting in line to get out. I've heard "I Wanna Be Sedated" and Kid Rock's "All Summer Long". It's a takeoff on Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama, but it's catchy. I've got more pics and a little video to post, but that will have to wait for some more bandwidth.


I've never done something so geeky as post live from the middle of a 500 acre field, but there's a first time for everything. Here's a little pic of my laptop, tilted b/c it's on the hood of my car, with the track behind it. BTW, a couple, like a man and woman, just got out of a Dodge Durango whose rear bumper is all of 5 feet from my elbow. The windows are steamy, and I had no idea they were in there. Man, I really love this computer.





No comments: