Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Day I Outsmugged Wal-Mart

I don't know who that is in the picture, I stole it from Flickr. It sorta relates to my story.

I had been running errands with the girls yesterday, and we were at Wal-Mart entering the checkout line. I was buying one of those little lunchbox/cooler thingies. Being a veteran of Wal- Mart service, I knew the cashiers were supposed to look inside luggage, purses, coolers, and anything else that could hide another item. They've got a couple of little cool code words. LISA should remind them to 'Look InSide Always', and BOB should remind them to check the 'Bottom Of the Basket' Being the good customer that I am, I unzipped the cooler to save the cashier some time. She was scanning my items just fine, scanned my cooler and kept on going. A few more items went by, and the CSM, the one in the red vest came over to talk to my cashier, Marilyn. Here's how that went....

CSM: (Smugly) Marilyn, I wanted to remind you to use LISA.
Marilyn: (Stops scanning to discuss with CSM) Huh? What's that?
CSM: I know you didn't just say that.
Marilyn: I don't know what you're talking about.
Me: (Probably more smugly) Look inside always. She wants you to look inside my cooler to make sure I'm not stealing anything. But don't worry, I already unzipped it before I put it on the belt.
CSM, now irritated, walks away
Marilyn: Thanks, I didn't know to do that.

I guess I showed them. It's not every day, that you spend $110 on items that aren't over $8 and get to walk away with a little bit of pride.

1 comment:

a.wagoner said...

Being a former 7 year employee of walmart this is the greatest story ever.. Way to go !!!