Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hunka-hunka Climbin' Love


So, I did another one of these things. The last one I wrote about was the Go Vertical Challenge at the Sears Tower in November. I did the Step Up for Kids at the Aon Building in January. The Hustle Up the Hancock this past Sunday concluded this year's climbing season. My wave started at 11:45, and I finished in about 45 minutes. I always meet some nice folks in the stairwells. There's usually a good mix of folks from the serious athletes trying to beat their best time to those who are closer to my fitness level. I even had one of the water girls compliment me on my shoes (I got'em on EBay). This was the first time I'd worn them out, even though I'd had them for over a year. I think they're snazzy. Some people got game, others just got gear.

As usual, I was looking for the exit somewhere around the fifth floor. The steps for this one are really steep. To give you an idea, this climb is 12 more floors than the Aon Building, but it's got fewer steps. Long story short, the steps are steeper. Back to the climb.... I took my usual breaks along the way. I know I stopped at least 3 times in the 30's.....I just wasn't feelin' it. I got out of the 30's, and once I got past 47, I was halfway home. It was five floors here, 4 floors there until the end. At the top, I got my medal, banana, bottle of water, and headed for the elevator line. It was down to the lobby and across the street to get my car out of the garage. The worst part of the whole day was the parking. Under 2 hours would've cost $17. I was there 2 hours and 2 minutes, which ran my parking bill to $23.....what a joke. I guess it's all for a good cause. I think they raised close to a million bucks for the American Lung Association and other lung health type stuff.

I've never had trouble getting going on the day after these things. For whatever reason, I was worthless yesterday. I was much better today.

The girls are staying with me for a couple of days as their mom is out of town for some kind of training for her job. As we were going to bed tonight, we read the Bible, then prayed. Gracy has a classmate who just lost her baby brother. Her name is Damaris, and the funeral is tomorrow, Wednesday. He had had heart complications since birth, and he just passed at 5 months old. Please say a prayer for them.

Back to tonight, we said a prayer for Damaris and her family, and I explained that God knows what it's like to lose a son. I asked Nora about it, and with a great big smile and all the pride she could muster, she said "He lost his Son for the glory of God!" Once again, with all the things that I've gotten wrong in my life, I continue to be amazed at how blessed I am to have such wonderful daughters.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good for you, Andrew! Great job for a good cause! And such sweet girls! I have said a prayer for that family. There is nothing worse than the loss of a child.

Mim said...

Way to go Andrew! I love your climbing stories, but I like your daughter stories even more. You have some great kiddos there ... but then they have a pretty neat dad too.