Wednesday, September 26, 2007

TRASH-X

In addition to the little trash can in my bathroom, I've got a modest 53 quart trash receptacle in my kitchen. When it gets full, I take the bag out of the can and place it into one of the 33 gallon bags from the box I have standing by. It makes no sense to throw out the partially filled larger bag, so I keep it around until it gets full. Sometimes I let it get more nearly full than others....usually because I'm running too late to take it out with me in the morning.

Have you seen those episodes of Oprah or Maury Povich where the person literally traps himself inside his house because of all the food he's eaten? They eventually have to cut a hole in the side of his house to extricate him. Sometime mys trash bags get like that.

CN has a program called Intermodal Excellence, or IMX for short. What it seeks to do is smooth out the demand of our intermodal services so the train sizes can be balanced. That way we're running full trains every day of the week instead of half-empty trains Sunday through Tuesday and leaving freight behind Wednesday through Saturday. I've decided to do the same thing with my trash.

Rather than wait a while to fill up a large bag, I've decided that I can fill up a standard Wal Mart bag every day. In the morning, it's no problem to pick it up and toss it in the dumpster as I drive by. From now on, I'll be going through the self checkout and double-bagging everything to ensure I've got the bags required to execute my plan.

I just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you might need a husband. It is my limited experience that they are good for this sort of issue.