Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dr. Maggie Knowitall

At school on Thursday, Maggie had the opportunity to experience something I hope I never have to. How do I say this politely? Maggie was in the restroom with a classmate who was receiving the first of many visitors.

She went home and told her mom all about it. Evidently, Maggie was so excited by the experience that she was rocking from side to side while recounting the day's events. She didn't say anything to me about it, but her mom told me what had happened so I would know where any questions might be coming from. I told her I was cool with the training bra and leg shaving, but if I'm around for the next developmental milestone, she's going straight home for some mommy/daughter time. Is that wrong? Maggie's got lots of questions, and they've already carved out some time tomorrow to hash all this out.

Last night at dinner, and I don't recall how the conversation started, Grace said something about starting out in Momma's tummy as a baby. Dr. Knowitall immediately informed her that she started out as an egg. Grace was quite perplexed and didn't remember anything about hatching from an egg. I tried to get Maggie to knock it off but was having no luck. However, Maggie didn't know much more than she started out as an egg. After tomorrow, there's no telling what kind of knowledge she'll have. Did I mention she has an A+ in science? This stuff is right up her alley. ....and that's where we are on that.

In other news, Maggie has some math homework where she's solving some equations for a missing variable. I'm so excited because algebra wasn't my thing in school. Sometime after that, it clicked and became fairly simple. It's fun walking her through this stuff and keeping both sides of the equation equal and working down to the missing number. Last week, she was doing those commutative and transitive property stuff. I even busted out a Mr. Thomas "Commutative, t-t, t-t." on her. I heard someone on TV rattling off the "Out, out brief candle" lines from Macbeth. I think we were all surprised when I joined in with the people on TV. I thought about hitting them with some Thanatopsis, but didn't think they were ready for it. When we were memorizing that stuff, I had no idea how long it would stick with me. I'm not sure I'm any better for it, but I guess so.

Finally, the Cubs clinched a spot in the playoffs last night. The girls were long asleep when it happened, but we celebrated today with a cookie from Jewel. That's it at the top of the post.

Go Cubs, Go! Go Cubs, Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today.

Checkout one of the cheesiest team songs ever. Be sure you stick around for the guy at the end of the clip. Stay classy, Chicago!!!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have only but a minute,
only sixty seconds in it.

Rachel said...

I think sending her home to mommy for that talk is fine. In fact, when Chloe gets to that point, I will probably send her to Maggie's mommy too. Is that OK?