Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Tooth Fairy and Compound Interest



Yesterday, we went to the dentist. It was Nora's first visit to the chair. She enjoyed the sunglasses, and they did a great job keeping the light out of her eyes. She's lucky to have 2 great sisters to cheer her on in whatever she does.

Everyone got great reports. The dentist was a little concerned about Grace's small mouth. He encouraged to wiggle her teeth when they get loose so they wold come right out and not affect the permanent teeth coming in behind them. When we got home, Grace went right to work on her one loose tooth. She said she wouldn't eat until it came out. Throughout the day, I got updates on her progress. At one point, she said "Dad, I've got blood". I thought that would be the end of the tooth extraction process, but she kept going. Right before supper, I heard a joyful shriek from the other room, and Grace came in to show me the tooth she'd just removed.

Nighttime rolled around, and Grace was very concerned about whether the Tooth Fairy would be visiting her. We got all setup, and they went to bed. I went to bed early last night, too. In fact, they might have still been awake when I turned in for the night. Luckily, the tooth fairy got his butt out of bed in time to do the switch in the morning. When Grace woke up, she was very excited. After the newness of the dollar wore off, she got a little upset that the Tooth Fairy had taken the necklace that was holding the tooth. At that point, Nora reported that her bracelet was missing and immediately indicated the Tooth Fairy as the primary suspect. Nora has requested that I contact the Tooth Fairy and request he bring our stuff back. When I said that Grace would have to give back her dollar, it was suddenly OK to be without our stuff.

Some people have saved 95 cents of every dollar they've made. I, on the other hand, have spent $1.05 of every dollar I have made. I'm trying to instill a habit of saving in my girls. I didn't think about it in time when Maggie was losing teeth, so I'm starting with Grace and incorporating Maggie. Since momma is the tooth fairy most of the time, I told them that I would double whatever is in their piggy banks each time Grace lost a tooth. Luckily for me, I've never had to give Grace anything more than the tooth fairy did. I don't think Maggie knows what the opening on top of her piggy bank is for.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey! The toothfairy has been busy! Chloe lost her second front tooth last night. I'm about to go blog about that now. Congratulate your lil' Snaggletooth on being so brave!

Anonymous said...

Where's the picture of you in the chair?