Monday, October 8, 2007

Totally Gay


Forgive me, I’m catching up from the weekend.

Friday night, I went straight to the gym after work. I’ve got that whole stair-climbing thing fast approaching, you know. I had a nice long workout and got home around 9. Being as how it was early, I decided to take in a movie at the dollar show. It actually costs $3 to see a movie there, but everybody around here knows exactly what I’m talking about when I say dollar show.

I decided I would take in a showing of “Hairspray”. I’ve seen plenty of musicals performed live and been to a Grease sing-along. I’ve got no problems showing up at these types of events. I did feel a little bad when I was waiting in line to buy my ticket. The guy in front of me was going to see Bourne Ultimatum. His choice was probably a little more manly, but what are you gonna do?

Even though you can get bottomless coke and popcorn for like $5, I decided to skip the concession stand. I was still full from the salad I had after the gym….you believe that, right?

I took my seat and got ready for the show. There were probably 50 people in the theater. It’s an older theater with the aisle down the middle instead of on the sides. There’s no stadium seating either. It reminded me of the Twin Cinema in Mayfield. If you aren’t familiar with the story, it’s about a pudgy girl who loves to dance and wants to get on one of those teeny-bopper dance shows. She gets on the show and a whole host of other stuff happens to her to fill out the story. Even though I dozed a couple of times (I don’t think I snored) I enjoyed the movie.

Now, the part that stuck with me…. the lead character, Tracy Turnblad, made me think of my mom. In one of the opening scenes, she and her friend Penny rush home to watch the Corky Collins show. They’re in front of the TV learning all the dances that are being done on the show. When she gets her chance to dance, she does so with such energy, excitement, and pure joy. The joy on Tracy’s face reminded me of the same joy my mom had when she danced. I only saw her cut loose a few times, but it’s pretty hard to forget. I called dad the next day to tell him about the movie. By the end of the conversation, we were in such agreement that we were finishing each other’s sentences while comparing mom to Tracy. Dad even commented that she made him look good on the dance floor several times. Something about talking about your parents on the 'dance floor' just doesn't sit well, but I digress.

I’m glad to know that her memory has stuck with me enough to recognize her traits when I see them in others.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's one of the things that can easily set me and my own mom off-- talking about when Dad used to dance. It's very different than your own experience, as we're lucky enough to still have Dad, but I do understand what you're saying on some level.