Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hearts on Fire

On 9/30/07, I started my own little Commitment to Excellence to try to drop a few pounds in the final six weeks leading up to my stair climb in November. (BTW, if I lost 20 lbs, that would be 42,180 lbs I wouldn’t have to lift) Like most diets, it was slow going at first and hard to stay focused. I’ve been at it 12 days and would like to share a few bullets from the experience so far…
  • I’ve been to the gym 9 out of the 12 days. I’ve had some really good workouts and some not so good.
  • Other than the small steak I had on Sunday, I haven’t had any red meat. That just kinda’ happened, but I guess it’s a good thing.
  • I’m taking an ELMO approach to dieting and Eating Less More Often. Here lately, it’s been a boiled egg for breakfast, a salad around 10:30, some ground chicken or pork around 2, and another salad and some meat for supper. I got hungry Tuesday night while watching TV, and I ate an apple. I surprised myself with that one.
  • I haven’t been to McDonald’s since I started the C2E. If anyone is wondering, their stock is up about $3/share over the same period.
  • Finally, I weighed myself before I started. I won’t tell you what I started at, but it’s definitely in the 3 digit range. I actually gained weight after I started. If you net it all out, I’m down 5 lbs. The initial weight loss is usually the easiest. We’ll see what happens after I hit the wall.

Rocky IV was on TV the other night. It always gets me fired up. Here’s a little clip so you can share the inflammation. When I do my training, I look just like this.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I must know. How many stories will you be climbing? And if you reach that point where it's not a good idea to go on, is there great shame in hopping over to the elevator and going home?

af24601 said...

It's 2109 steps over 103 floors totalling 1353 vertical feet. There are medical personnel every couple of floors watching to mke sure people are ok. There are a few people every year who don't finish. I'll finish, but I plan on taking a a few breaks along the way. One of the runners in last week's Chicago Marathon died on the course, so I'm sure awareness will be heightened.