Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fastest Post Ever!!!!!


I was on my way home from work today when my boss called me on my cell phone. I answered, and he said he wanted to tell me about a project that I probably wouldn't like. He said he needed someone to do a 72-hour study of the new hump at Memphis. It would involve timing how long it took to hump a cut of cars, how many pins were pulled for each cut, how long until the cars were pulled out the other end, etc. I told him it sounded like he needed someone to go to Memphis. He agreed and informed me that he needed someone to leave tonight or early tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is Wednesday with Nora, and I didn't think I could go. He reiterated that this would be a really good opportunity for me to get some more experience and exposure. The past couple of times he's had these opportunities for me, they've turned out pretty well. However, I'm the only childcare for Nora on Wednesdays, and the other 2 usually spend the night with me and I take them all to school in the morning. I told him I would make some calls and let him know. I was so sick to my stomach that I didn't even call anybody. I called him back and told him I couldn't go. After I hung up, I thought about it some more and realized that I might've just lost all the flexibility he has given me in my job. I called my ex and explained that my boss has never asked me where I was going or why. He only asked that I get my work done on time, and be available to go places when needed. This was a time when I was needed. Long story short, she called back and said she had it covered. I found some other people to cover my stuff at the Y, and I'm headed to Memphis. Right now, we're at Gilman, IL, and gas is $3.69 at the K&H Truck stop. Stop on down and fill'er up if you're in the neighborhood.

The Cubs open up their 2008 World Series run tomorrow, and I'll be watching cars roll down a hill. The Vice-Presidential debate is on Thursday, and I'll be watching cars roll down a hill. But, let's not forget, everyone else was at work on Wednesday, and I was out with Nora, going to lunch and playing in the park. Everyone else was at work on Friday, and I was at Wrigley Field, like 5 times, so it kinda evens out. The best part.....I'm going to get some of Gus's Fried Chicken tomorrow, and maybe the next day, and quite possibly the day after that. The last time I took the train back to Chicago, I got a bag of ten pieces (they were in a greasy paper bag which was awesome!!) to eat on the train. It was all gone by Carbondale. Don't worry though, I did bring workout clothes, my YMCA card, and my iPod. I should be good to go.

So here I sit, ripping through the heartland at 79 mph, watching the lights of the countryside go by, thinking about how much I love my job. Life's good.

4 comments:

IfJarrodHadABlog said...

Make sure to get a Diver from Silky O'Sullivans and ribs from Rendevouz. Have fun.

Andy Crouch said...

I paid $3.56 for gas here in the 'Ville yesterday. Is it that much more in Chicago right now?

-B said...

Not to one-up or anything, but we went to Six Flags in St. Louis over the weekend. Exit 129 on I-55(Perryville, I think?) - $3 and a quarter. Currently $3.76 here in Mayberry.

af24601 said...

I've seen $3.30's since I've been here.