Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesdays With Nora - Pentecostal Power Edition


This Wednesday With Nora started out like many others. I got up around 5:15, moved over to the couch to get my bearings. Now, I usually watch a little TV, get my railroad work together, pick up the girls and take them to school, bring Nora home with me, do my work while she hangs out watching TV or drawing. This morning was different. I watched last night's Chelsea Lately, David Letterman, and Law & Order SVU before logging into my computer and taking a look around. It was about 6:45 by the time I got around to my work, and I knocked it out in record time. When I got back with Nora, she didn't have to hang out by herself because I was already done with my work. We watched some TV together, cuddled a little, then went to the YMCA. After the Y, we had lunch with some friends, went to the store, then picked up the sissies. On the way to pick up the other 2, Nora asked me about why I always had railroad work to do. She even told me that she prayed last night that I would get it done fast so we could watch TV together....remember, record time this morning. Nora's been on a roll lately. My friend Jarrod just welcomed his first daughter into the world. She was originally expected last Friday but didn't show up until Monday morning. On Sunday night, when we learned that there was no baby yet, I asked Nora to pray for Miss Angie and the baby. Nora loves Miss Angie and was happy to oblige. She was thankful that Miss Angie was having a little girl and wouldn't be alone with all the boys anymore, prayed that the baby would come out easy, and that she would be cute. If you could see pictures of that kid, you'd know her prayers were answered. Tonight, at supper, Nora wanted to pray again. Se prayed that Miss Angie would come home soon, that the baby would be happy, and (notice the quote marks "that the Stocks would get the basement finished so we could come spend the night." I'm not lying, that's exactly what she said. I guess the lesson of "You don't get what you don't ask for" is not lost on her. I did fill her in and let her know that Angie was home, and the baby was fine.
Nora's been on a roll lately, and I may have figured it out. Her childcare center is in the same facility as Maggie and Grace's school, which is all located at my church....a Pentecostal Church. While they don't teach any Pentecostal "doctrine", per se, they do teach the Bible. I'm proud to say that we've all grown and continue to grow from the experience. So how does this relate to Nora and her roll she's been on? Look at the outfit she's wearing. She changed shoes when I got her home. When I picked her up, she had on tennis shoes and white socks with that long denim skirt. I thought she looked very Pentecostal. If you put a bun in her hair, a volleyball jersey on, and threw her on a volleyball court, she'd fit right in. Boy, it took a long time to get to that. Sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

No comments: